How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15443
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Dear Ellen. I have reported a dangerous kerb ooutside my

This answer was rated:

Dear Ellen. I have reported a dangerous kerb ooutside my house the pavement is one inch below the kerb I have tripped over bad uneven pavements because of tree roots lifting pavements
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Poole BH15 3LN
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have reported it as its outside my house I am frightened I will fall over again and hurt myself
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: oh thank you so much the council say by email that they will not fix it

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now. I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

The council will fix defects if they fall within the intervention level - what the intervention level depends on each council's criteria. They have to maintain the roads at public expense and they have to preserve the general public's funds so that only the serious defects are fixed. I am not sure how bad the defect is outside your house - either way, you should first make a complaint to the council and you can do that here: and if that does not resolve this, involve the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) :

The LGO may be able to help but you would need to firstly exhaust the council's complaints procedure, unless you have done this already.

The Ombudsman scheme is free of charge and quicker than court action. As it is an arbitration scheme, the Ombudsman’s decision would be binding upon the council if you accepted the decision.

The above is the way to deal with the council - and you do not need a lawyer to assist either as it's just a case of making a simple complaint to them, wait for their final response - if the response does not help then the Ombudsman can be contacted (who my decide to uphold your complaint, which would solve the issue with the defect).

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I just want to write a simple message for some help because the council will not help me get the pavement fix outside my house and I am frightened of falling over on my face which I have done twice now on the council pavements and roads

Thanks, ***** ***** need to write your message as a complaint to the council. They will not do anything unless you do it as a complaint/

Apologies, I can’t take a call at the moment but other experts are free to contact you. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all.

However, the call request is open to all experts so will remain available until it’s either taken by another expert or if you cancel it. If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, customer services can be contacted by email (*****@******.***)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay please tell me how are you can help me get this pavement fixed

HI, I have given you details of your next steps. We are an internet forum and not a law firm - we do not give legal advice and we cannot act for anyone as a result.
Just Answer is for online Q&A - please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer for you.

JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you