How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10306
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I need a solicitor that can help with a deadline 8th

Customer Question

I need a solicitor that can help with a deadline 8th December to file a defamation of character case
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Horley surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: my union has fought to try and get my employers to change the reference 4 times and haven’t, I’ve tried to access my legal,cover on my house hold insurance and tried to find n advocate
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No i think I have covered the basics
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My agency change my reference 4 times and each time they filled it with unfounded information to cause harm and malicious intent, there is nothing in the references that is factual or true. They were challenged by the union on all four of the references and they still would not change it as they said they would not recognise the union
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

If you wanted to bring a defamation action, you would need to establish that a statement has been made about you which would lower people's opinion of you in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally. Broadly, the test is whether a statement would cause one to think less of you. The other side can defend a claim under the grounds of justification, privilege or fair comment. In relation to the defences, Justification is a complete defence to the action of defamation (as long as the defendant can prove that the statement is substantially true). The defendant does not need to show that there is public interest in the publication or whether they acted maliciously. Privilege, does not apply here because this applies to circumstances such as parliamentary proceedings or court hearings. Finally, fair comment, is a defence if the defendant can show that the statement is an expression of opinion on a matter of public interest (and not a statement of fact. A matter of public interest is viewed by the courts as matters which will affect people at large to the extent that they may be legitimately interested in what is going on (or indeed what might be happening to them).The comment does however have to be based on true facts which are stated in the publication or are referred to. The defendant must prove that the underlying facts are true. The defence will not stand if it can be shown that the comment was made maliciously. In terms of the chances of being successful, as an area of law defamation actions tend to be difficult to win because of the range of defences available and because courts are reluctant to impinge and curb freedom of expression especially where the comment that is subject to the action could be seen as in the public interest. In relation to costs, it is not possible to say how much this might be with any great specifics because it would depend on the lawyers you would hire, the area of the country and the complexity of the case but such actions tend to be expensive and cost many thousands of pounds. Furthermore, even if you are successful in your action you are not guaranteed to recover your costs. That said, if you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process and represent you at the hearing you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case defamation law. I trust this assists