How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 199
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

While googling came upon a reference to my name made from a

Customer Question

Hello, while googling my name I came upon a reference to my name made from a previous landlord that was online asking questions about a document he served me with. Could you please tell me if it is illegal for him to write personal details about my tenancy agreement along with my name? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Could you please advise me on how to proceed? I am not happy with people finding personal information about me online without my knowledge and/or permission.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I am happy to help you with your enquiry today.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

I would advise you to check if you have signed any contract that says you give consent to your information being used. I would also advise you to check if your previous tenancy agreement with your landlord had a portion where you allow your landlord to use your information as a reference.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

If you have not consented to your information being used, you have the following applicable rights under the Data Protection legislation: (1) right to be informed about how your data is being used; (2) right to access personal data; (3) right to have your data erased; and (4) right to object to how your data is processed in certain circumstances.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

In your case, I highly advise you to contact your previous landlord and write a letter or e-mail, and specifically indicate that you are exercising your right to "opt out" from your personal information being used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

I'm happy to help. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Thank you very much for your answer! I apologize for not responding sooner. Due to unforeseen circumstances it couldn't be helped. I will follow your advice and email them tomorrow morning!

Have a great evening.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

No problem at all. Happy to help. You too!