How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 199
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My husband has been diagnosed with memory loss and I have

This answer was rated:

My husband has been diagnosed with memory loss and I have been advised to get a Power of Attorney. Our bank account is in joint names and I deal with all the banking as he is not able. I have two ISAs in my name and he has one in his name. Would I need a Power of Attorney. Someone has told me that the bank account could be frozen if anything happens to him
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in England and I rang a solicitor but only spoke to the receptionist who told be it would cost around £500
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't taken any steps as yet as I was not sure if I needed to as I deal with all bills etc now
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so. My husband has Mild Cognitive Impairment but it has got worse and I have an appointment with the memory clinic to see if is going into Dementia or Alzheimers

Hi, I am happy to help you with your enquiry today.

Yes, you are correct. You may need a Power of Attorney to effectively manage his finances. A Power of Attorney will allow you to make decisions on behalf of a person who has been been diagnosed with dementia or other diseases which affect a person's mental capacity.

If you wish to find a solicitor near your area that can help you draft a power of attorney, you may visit: and use their search function to filter lawyers within your area.

Additionally, there are numerous charitable organizations that can also aid you in getting started with managing the affairs of your incapacitated loved one. One of these organizations is Admiral Nurse Dementia Helpline who offers practical advice and emotional support to people affected by MCI. You may reach them at Tel. No. 0800(###) ###-####

The Office of the Public Guardian can also provide assistance in registering your power of attorney. They may be contacted at***@******.*** or tel. no. 0300(###) ###-####

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No thank you you have been very helpful
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No thank you

No problem. Happy to help you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further enquiries.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in future.

MARTINT330 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you