How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 678
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

I’m a first year uni student trying to secure second year

Customer Question

I’m a first year uni student trying to secure second year housing. The house we have found is a joint contract so we (the five people wanting to live together) wanted to get a seperate contract written between us saying that if one drops out they still have to pay the rent instead of it falling on the rest of us. How difficult would this process be? How expensive would this process be?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Winchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We currently have payed first week rent to secure the house and provided with guarantor information. We have not taken any steps forward with the separate contract yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your patience. It should not be too difficult. All you need to do is to draft a separate agreement and get all co-flatmates to sign it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you have a template we could use or a recommended one we could use? How expensive would this be? Would we have to get permission from the landlord?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’d prefer if we could stay on here please.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 18 days ago.

Ideally, you would want this to be written in the contract. You can make this proposal to the landlord. If they refuse to amend their tenancy template, then you can draft it on your own, or I can make you an offer here.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps. Feel free to come back with anything else.  I will help to the extent I can.