How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3757
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My wife has come into a substantial amount of money but we

Customer Question

My wife has come into a substantial amount of money but we are on benefits and have an autistic son how can we sort the money out so we don't lose benefits
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Gosbeck IP69SG
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None at the moment as we don't know what to do
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I myself am retired but my wife is in her early to late 50s so would that have a bearing on the matter
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Thank you.   You will require to advise the DWP of the money you have come into.  If it pushes you over the threshold, you may lose some of the benefits you are on.  However, this may not be the case if you are receiving non-means tested benefits.  It is possible to spend some of the money to push you under the threshold, however you must take advice one this, you cannot simply go out and buy a £50k car so that you can go back to receiving benefits, there are tight rules about what you can and cannot spend.

However, it may well be the case you are entitled to more benefits than you are aware.   The difficulty is that you require to apply for specific benefits to the DWP and wait for the application etc.  However, the best thing to do is drop into your local citizens advice bureau (CAB).  They can go through your personal and financial position in detail and enter these details into what is referred to as the QBC system.  This system will calculate what benefits you are entitled to and how much.  The system will also do the entire calculation without contacting the DWP so no other benefits would be affected in doing this calculation.  Furthermore, if you are rejected initially for any such benefits, the CAB can help you with the mandatory reconsider (appeal) of the refusal.  If this is still rejected but it is believed you have a claim, the CAB can also provide you with representation should you require to go to a tribunal for the matter.


I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.