Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I've been accused of having twenty thousand pounds in a bank

I've been accused of having twenty thousand pounds in a bank I have never been with, by universal credits. And they are now demanding payment for monies they have paid me when I was with them. I called before in September and was advised to fill a form in. I can't remember the name of the firm but I filled it in and forward it to them. Not I'm being threatened. Please help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Pontefract, West Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I emailed Yvette Cooper regarding this. Forwarding a copy of the form and the letter received by me from department of works and pensions. And now reaching out to you. Can you help. As it seems you need lots of money to speak to people about legal matters.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so. I was a little stroppy in the email I sent to Yvette, which I shouldn't have but I was really angry and acted immediately upon receiving the letter.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. May I confirm if you know anything about the bank account they are referring to please or do you know nothing of where they may have obtained this information?
  2. have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision that the benefits office reached?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
1. They said the tax office gave them this information.
2. Yes, they replied with a threatening letter. I must pay or else they will extract the money through my employer deducting money from my salary up to 20% of my earnings, or debt collectors or I pay directly or be prosecuted for benefit fraud, which could rise to 40%
They have given me a website and a security code to pay them
I have no intention of paying when what they accuse me of isn't true. If they give me £20,000.00 which they are accusing me of having then I will gladly pay their £4,011.18.
Maybe someone has opened an account with my name, I don't know, all I do know is I have never had that money or had an account in nationwide. When they first accused me of it in march 2021. I went to the bank to see if they had an account in my name, I showed them the account number universal credits gave me (unfortunately I must have discarded it, the alleged nationwide account ). The customer service provider at nationwide said he didn't recognise the number. I asked him for a letter confirming that I didn't have an account with them with twenty thousand pounds in it but he said that they don't do that but will if an agency like a fraud department /team request that information. I told universal credits this but they didn't believe me and haven't even bothered to check through using the fraud department. They have given me a dead line of 9/12/2021 to setup a direct debit to pay.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello I fould the nationwide account number they claim I have, it is B150537RN/19690302F.
The latter part looks like my date of birth which is 2nd March 1969
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Could this be a scam, I have had a number of people trying to scam me.

Thank you. Who is it that has contacted you in the above manner?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I spoke to a lady called Julie compliance office on the phone on 22nd March 2021 then received a letter and a number of journal entries on the universal credits website. but the name of the person on the second letter is E Ockwell Operations manager.
I have to say that I became heated because I was very annoyed and angry. The thought that I would deliberately do something like that, is beyond me. I am the type of person who tells the truth even if it gets me into trouble. But I will not roll over if I'm innocent. Thank you

Thank you. Have they identified the name of the organisation that is chasing you? e.g. is it a debt collector? Do you have the details?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No they will select one after the 9th December, when I haven't paid.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Or set up payment

Thank you. I remain unclear on who "they" is. Which organisation has been contacting you? Have they not identified themselves?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Department of works and pensions (universal credit)

thank you. providing you are satisfied that it is the Department of work and pensions and you are certain that you do not have a bank account which is in your name at that bank a lease with any balance of that nature - if there is any doubt in this respect, you can contact the bank and asked them to confirm that there is no account held in your name - you can also use the service below if you have any difficulty dealing with the bank itself - then you can consider applying to the DWP clearly of stating that you hold not account with the bank as they claim and ask them to provide evidence to show that you do. You can advise that you have contacted the bank and confirm that no account is held in your name and that you have also carried out a search using the below search tool which has also confirmed there is no account held by you with that bank and you are quite willing to make a statutory declaration to this effect if necessary there was above, it would be helpful if the DWP would provide you with evidence to show why they believe an account is held by you as they claim

https://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/search

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I know what you mean. They said it's my responsibility to prove that I haven't got an account at nationwide. As I have said the bank will answer to an agency looking into fraudulent information /accounts. I haven't opened an account at nationwide, the only time I had anything to do with nationwide is when I went in to find out if there was an account in my name because even if I'm not aware of it. I do know people can do these things, like open an account in someone else's name, and they would need to know also. They, nationwide, told there is no such account. When I presented the account number given me by universal credit, the branch staff member said they do not recognise the account number as one of theirs. I can't say any different than that. I hope I have made it clear

thank you. It will be helpful if you could obtain the information you have been told by the bank in writing so that you can produce this to the DWP. In any event, the DWP must provide the evidence they have in support of their claim following a denial by you. As above, there is also the option for you to provide a statutory declaration in this respect but I cannot see that it is necessary

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The bank will not provide a letter confirming, that I do not have an account with them.

if you make a subject access request under the data protection act, they will have to in that they will have to confirm any and all accounts they hold in your name:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/cookies-privacy/your-information-rights

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have done that. I asked for any and all accounts they have in my name from 2019 to date.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I hope I won't need to seek any legal help again , but thank you for your help. Much appreciated. And should I need help I would definitely ask for you. Thanks again
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Very helpful, would definitely recommend

I'm grateful for your feedback and that the above was of some assistance.