JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My parents have received of protocol letter of claim, what

Customer Question

My parents have received of protocol letter of claim, what should they do please
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cornwall
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: Nothing as yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at this time
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The claim is for damages in relation to a dog bite on their property
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

The letter of claim will set out allegations of negligence and details of injuries - your parents must reply to the letter and acknowledge receipt (and confirm that they will reply with a liability decision within the 3 month period which they are entitled to).

Do not comment on liability or give any arguments at this stage - simply write or email them to acknowledge that you have received the letter.
If your parents have insurance, they need to call their insurer now and ask if they are covered for a dog bite claim. If so, the insurer will ask to see the letter of claim and they will respond to the solicitors who sent it. You can reply to the letter to confirm receipt of the letter, and to then confirm that a liability decision will be made within the 3 month period (which is allowed under the pre action protocol for a personal injury claim).

If your parents have no insurance, I would not recommend they deal with this themselves - it would be much better to have a law firm defend the claim.
Any of these should be able to do so :
1. https://www.catalystlaw.co.uk/blog/defending-a-dog-bite-claim
2. https://www.garrattssolicitors.co.uk/individual-services/personal-injury-claims-oldham/dog-bite-compensation-claims.html
3. http://www.hempsons.co.uk

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. I will let them know
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

OK, my pleasure, thanks