How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 30009
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

From June 2017 to Sept 2018 I lived with my partner who was

Customer Question

Hi. From June 2017 to Sept 2018 I lived with my partner who was the homeowner. I worked PT and paid £2,162 (by monthly payments detailed on my bank statements) during my time there towards bills such as council tax/food/power etc. I became a student in 2018/19 and moved in to my own flat. My ex partner has now informed the local council that I am liable for half of the council tax payments that he had not been paying (I was unaware). I have told the council that I paid towards such bills directly to my ex-partner. I was not listed on the property as joint owner, but I did complete a joint claim with the council for reduced council tax based on salary etc. As I can prove my payments to my ex-partner, will I still be liable with the local council? and how is it best to approach? My ex-partner acknowledges my payments but still wants me to pay half the unpaid council tax bill at £900 (£1800 in total) - Thank you for any help/direction
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leicester in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have notified the council that I paid my £900 directly to my ex-partner. They said that was an informal arrangement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thats all - thank you
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

for the avoidance of doubt, from what you say, you have never been on the deeds of the property as a homeowner but merely lived in the property with your partner who was the homeowner and registered owner at the land registry at all times during that period. Is that correct these?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank You Joshua - Yes thats correct. I have not been on the deeds, the mortgage had been paid in full by my ex-partner at the time. The only form in joint names was a claim for reduced council tax
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank You Joshua - I would like to take the opportunity to pay the £44 for a call. Ive updated my membership with my number - but in case its not showing. This is my number:***********
Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

thank you. The relevant legislation is the local government Finance act 1992 which contains a strict order of priority in respect of who is responsible for council tax in a particular property. Because from what you say, your ex-partner was the resident and owner of the property, and you were not the owner but were only resident in the property, your ex-partner has liability for the council tax not you. If there is any debate in this respect, you can refer to section 6(2) of the local government finance act in this regard:

accordingly, you can consider denying any liability for council tax on the above basis making it clear to any party that is claiming you are responsible that you have never had an interest in the property and simply occupied it as a lodger with the homeowner

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank You Joshua - thats very helpful
Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.