RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

My landlord it stating there is damage, however it is

My landlord it stating there is damage, however it is reasonable wear and tear
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Croydon
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The terms are I get my deposit if there is reasonable wear and tear.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I have images and messages between the landlord and I

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. What exact information do you need

If you are in disagreement under the damages then what to do is escalate it to the property ombudsman who can do an independent review and even provide remedy.  However, if you do not obtain a remedy, you can look at making a small claims action to have the court enforce the payment to you from the landlrod.

Prior to intimating small claim proceedings, you will require to send a letter to the respondent.  It is a simple letter stating that if they do remedy the matter as you have outlined (in the same letter), you will take legal action against them.  This is referred to as a. pre-action protocol letter.  You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor, but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge, and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is here;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the future, please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.