How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 30047
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We have a neighbour who “feeds birds & wildlife”.

Customer Question

We have a neighbour who “feeds birds & wildlife”. Unfortunately, she over-feeds on the bird station and puts food on the floor – “for hedgehogs”. The result is that we now have a severe problem with rats. The rats have even learnt to climb the pole of the bird feeder and now eat the food from the tray without needing to wait for it to fall to the ground. She has been shown video evidence of up to 8 rats in her garden – even sitting on the bird table. However she refuses to stop putting down food. We are concerned the rats represent a health hazard. How can we prevent her from continuing to “feed wildlife” when in reality she is attracting a severe rodent problem?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Midlands UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have shown her the problem and asked her to stop. She refuses to do so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The rats are beginning to undermine my garden office - I have fought back so far - but it concerns me.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine how frustrating it must be. I will certainly try to clarify the position for you.

May I confirm if you have been in contact with the local authority to date please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms in the first instance you would attempt to resolve matters with the neighbour amicably as you have done. If this does not produce results you can consider making a complaint to the councils environment department. Where an individual is taking action or by way of neglect that is encouraging vermin then the council will send an officer to investigate and if they are satisified as regards ***** ***** they can serve an enforcmenet notice which is an instruction to take action or stop taking action. If the notice is ignored then the individual can be prosecuted.

You can also seek an injuction privately in the county court against the neighbour but this incurs court fees so the above approach is usually the easiest

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.