How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5212
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am wondering if you can help me. My brother passed away,

This answer was rated:

Hello there,
i am wondering if you can help me.
My brother passed away, I'm his sister dealing with his estate. There is some uncertainty around if his divorce had gone through or not. I live lin South Africa and he lived the UK, so your process and laws are foreign to me.I found a letter which is a looks like a "Decree Absolute" but i don't know if anyone contested it, therefore i am not sure where we are in the divorce process. It does not have original ink on it.ND 20D 00322
Could you perhaps help?

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist you with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read your initial post.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks so much.

My condolences for the loss of your brother.

If you attach a copy of the Decree document you have, I should be able to tell you if it is the final decree.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (125Z323)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
sorry it i only a picture, his best friends have been going through his things. I"m in South Africa at moment.

That is definitely the Decree Absolute. The divorce was made final in April 2021.

However, it may not be the end of the matter, as there is normally a financial order too, to close off all claims from either party. Normally that is finalised before the DA is pronounced, but sometimes couples do not do so at the time, intending to settle later, so that is something you will need to find out when settling his estate as his ex wife, if there was no financial settlement, may have a claim.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help.

You're very welcome.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm going to chat to my mum and I might be in touch on Monday. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

All the best.