How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5895
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I interested to get in touch with a criminal lawyer, So, I

Customer Question

Hi , I interested to get in touch with a criminal lawyer
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: So, I did something in Uk and I want to find what will happen next
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I will tell the short story, 2 years and half ago a stolen money from my work place in Uk and left the country in the same day, now I want to come back but I don’t know if is the right step, if I have a warrant or not
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** years and half ago a took money from my work place and I left the Uk in the same day, I found out from my college police was there and took statements, after that they been to my place where I was lived in that time. I was getting in touch with my ex colleague and she said , she don’t think they go further with this matter
Now I want to come back but I’m scared, maybe is a warrant on my name. I don’t know what to do
Can you help me with advice
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I did my dbs check and the acro online
All of them are clear
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

The DBS etc would be clear as you have not been arrested charged or convicted of an offence. It is however possible that a warrant is on the police system for your arrest for the theft of the money. Unfortunately the only way to find out would be to contact the local police station in the area where the offence was committed and to enquire whether there is a warrant out for your arrest. Alternatively you could return to The UK and hope you are not

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I call them I don’t think they will give me this details via phone.
Another think if you can help me, when I took the money the cctv from the office wasn’t work at all, just stop in that moment, they tried to recover the image by they couldn’t. I was working on my shift with another college, she gave statement but is not evidence was me , like cctv evidence … they can built a case without the image from the cctv?
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Yes they can. CCTV is only a part of evidence. The statement from your colleague and the fact money is missing and your sudden departure can all count as evidence. If you contact the police they will certainly tell you if there is a warrant for you and where are yo

Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

And where you can surrender to the warrant

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for all!
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
sorry another thing
If I decide to surrender myself an tell them the truth, I’m really sorry because I did this
Do you think they can give me imprisonment with suspended time? I'm scared of prison,I’m not made for this, I was young and stupid, I know is not a excuse…
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

It would depend how much you stole.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

If you have stolen£15,000 then that is not going to go away.

if the employer has reported the matter to the police, then very likely a warrant is out with your name. Theft from an employer is always serious and a large amount more so.

Because of the breach of trust and the value, the offence is either a category 2A or 2B offence depending on how serious the breach of trust.

The case would certainly be sent to the crown court for trail or for sentence.

It is possible a suspended sentence could be given

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is not gonna disappear after few years? Or will stay there until I face the justice
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

If the complaint has been made to the police it will stay active until they find you. Serious offences like this do not have a time limit in the UK.