John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

My landlord asked to increase rental amount to which we said

Customer Question

Hi my landlord asked to increase rental amount to which we said we cant afford it and would like to stay within the same amount, two days later we were sent a section 21 notice to leave within 2 months. after finding additional fund we are able to pay the extra amount, however the landlord said he has simply changed his mind and doesn't want to go ahead.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Maidenhead UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: emailed and spoken to landlord to negotiate but he has been very rude
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you. Please confirm, specifically what you would like to know about this?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
hi John, nice to meet you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i want to know if theres a way i can legally challenge this as he has simply changed his mind
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
we cant find anywhere to move and he is now backing out of the rental amount he wanted us to pay and would like us to leave instead
Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Just to clarify, you are wish to stay within the accommodation and you're now happy to pay the increased rental amount, but want to know if you can challenge the eviction notice, is this correct?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thats correct
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
he has simply just changed his mind after two days after we questioned the increase which is really unfair
Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Ok thank you. I am sorry to hear of the situation. Unfortunately with a section 21 notice, a landlord does not need to have a reason to evict. You can refuse to leave after it expires, and your landlord can only apply to court after the notice period ends. An eviction through the courts can still take several months which may give you more time to find a new place.

Other ways to challenge a section 21 notice is to check the correct procedure was used and that the notice is valid, and the challenge this in court where if the notice was not served in line with the correct legal process, he would have to re-serve it which would provide you with even longer time to look for a new home.

The only other alternative is to speak with the landlord, and negotiate a new contract

Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi John, thank you for your response just a few questions,Is it okay for the landlord to offer an amount and then just change his mind after?
Also if we dont leave how long does court usually take to give an eviction notice?
Can we also get fined by the court for not leaving at the end of the tenency?Thank you
Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

1.  Is it okay for the landlord to offer an amount and then just change his mind after? Yes

2. Also if we dont leave how long does court usually take to give an eviction notice? There is no timescale, but it can take several months, depending on the capacity of the court

3. Can we also get fined by the court for not leaving at the end of the tenency?  No not at all.

Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for that John, you've been a great help
Expert:  John replied 17 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great evening.