How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3756
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I own a property, it has a driveway along the side of the

This answer was rated:

I own a property, it has a driveway along the side of the property wrapping around the back leading to 4 properties. When I brought the property it has a 5 bar gate at the entrance. We have now installed a double leaf gate at the exit of the drive to the next property (our boundary line). Our neighbours are not happy as they have to stop get out and open the gate to drive through the gate. Am I wrong in doing this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Exning Suffolk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The right of way says owner and occupiers only. Can I restrict this access to literally the owner and occupier (those named on a tenancy agreement) only?

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok Great

Thank you for the question.  So long as there is nothing in your title deeds prohibiting your from erecting a particular type of gate then no you are not doing anything wrong.  Again so long as it is not obstructing or infringing on their land etc. you have the right to put your gate up if you so wish.  They would have to show evidence that you are breaching any law or provision in the deed if they were to make you remedy this matter.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The gate is on my land and there is nothing in the deeds. Could you confirm if it classed as substantial interference?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Such as the amount of locks or how they open the gate?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If the gate needs to be opened from both sides or only one side?

I think that would need to be assessed.  However if they want to try and enforce anything they would require to go to court.

RJM Law and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thanks