james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

If one has a missing person for 5 years - can they ask for

Customer Question

If one has a missing person for 5 years - can they ask for police to do a facial recognition search
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: reported the matter at the time tried finding them and hired private investigators
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes- are shelter homes and homeless association or as Brighton and hove council under obligation to reveal homeless person identity And if not - what legal steps can be taken
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
In a nutshell - need to know what warrants are required to request a facial recognition search from police and for local councils and homeless associations to share data
Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

How old is the "missing person"

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

There is no standard form or rule to be followed to use facial recognition.

Different forces will have different rules, some may not even use the system.

It is primarily used to trace and track suspects involved in serious crime. It is not used commonly for missing persons. It may be for a missing child, but adults less likely, they may be missing or they ay simply do not want to be found.

As for the sharing of information, that falls under data protection laws which themselves are a minefield.

You have no automatic right to know what is on file for a person. A court order can demand release of information  if there is an ongoing case.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.