SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I reported my partner for domestic abuse. There was a video

Customer Question

Hi, I reported my partner for domestic abuse. There was a video recorded whilst the incident happened. I have retracted my statement but want the case to be dismissed. Is there any way I could make it go away. I am not sure but I believe he was charged for something similar a couple of years ago. I don’t want him to get sentenced.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have retracted my statement but said the initial statement I gave is true, just don’t want to go ahead with the prosecution.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 12 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
I may not respond immediately please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Thank you very much for your patience. Once the police have your statement regrettably it is not in your hands to stop them from charging him or prosecuting. Criminal matters are against the State and the victim is a witness so even if you do not want them to do anything now, the police and CPS will decide if they have enough evidence to secure a conviction. You can advise them that you do not want to be a witness and they may decide to not progress it. As you are not married unfortunately they can secure  your attendance by way of a warrant.

Any follow up please do not hesiate to send your message, I am glad to assist you further. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.