Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I left my previous company 4 months in and the contract

Hi, I left my previous company 4 months in and the contract stated that all training costs would have to be paid back if someone leave before 12 months. The cost for external training was £1955 for me but I only did 3.5 weeks out of the 6 weeks of the external training program before I left. Does that mean I should only be paying for the training I received or do I still owe the full amount for 6 weeks?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hertfordshire, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken to my manager and said I shouldn’t be paying the full amount as I didn’t receive the fully training. They said the company still had that cost so I would need to cover it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.

Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this. The answer is that it depends on what your contract states, but you could come back to your HR team and state that, as you completed just 3.5 weeks, then you do not believe that you are responsible for the total costs of the course and they need to proportionately recalculate the costs.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, this is all it says in the contract, The Company will require the Employee to repay any training course and/or professional membership fees which the Company has paid on the Employee’s behalf in the 12 months prior to the termination of the Employment, in line with the Agreement for Refund of Training Fees form.

Thank you. What does the Agreement for Refund of Training Fees from say?

You need to look at it.

Let me know if I can help with anything esle. I will be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, sorry I was just getting the form. It says “If employment is terminated within 6 months of training fees/costs having been incurred by the Company.”
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Does this mean I have to pay the whole amount because the company still had to pay the trainer the full amount?

It appears so.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you

Pleasure.