Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

There is a piece of land between mine & my neighbours drive

Customer Question

There is a piece of land between mine & my neighbours drive which the deeds refer to as "jointly maintained". Recently, my neighbours have interfered with plants that I regard as my side of the land without discussion with me & while I am out. What are my rights in this instance?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. I'm not financially in a position to do anything. I've reported it to the police who say it's a civil matter.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: At the front of my property between me & my right hand side neighbours who have bullied & harassed my family over other matters.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They have topped a silver birch tree which I also thought was on my side of the land.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

If it is jointly maintained as per the deeds then the whole of the land is maintained by either party and there is therefore no your side or their side there is simply the land. They can maintain it how they wish as can you though you should try and reach agreement regarding maintenance. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have the right to prune their plants as well?

Provided these are on the jointly maintained strip of land yes. I trust this assists