RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I need help to write an email for DHL about VAT tax they

Hi. I need help to write an email for DHL about VAT tax they want to charge me (by mistake I beleive)
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom, email is for Iceland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Initially, I exchanged emails trying to explain why I believe I didn't need to pay. They released the parcel, but now have came back to me about the charge. I spoken to Icelandic customs on phone and email, and they said DHL should amend their VAT form. I called the DHL in Iceland about this, and they asked for an email to be sent out with explanation.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The VAT charge originated from a work laptop that was sent to be during my short trip to Iceland. It is by Icelandic border, and is taken as if the item is 'new'. The item is a work laptop, so it is not new in the sense it's not a store-bought fresh laptop. Since the end of my trip the laptop is back to the UK with me, so it was only temporarily imported to Iceland, making the current VAT charge invalid. Icelandic customs say DHL should update their records to 'temporary import'.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, thank you for accepting my question. Would you be able to provide me with a structure of what I should include in my email response, and to read over it to check and provide comments on how to improve it?

Thank you for the question.  In the letter you will want to show that you are not liable for these charges.  So if you clearly set out the reasoning for this and include the letter you received, they will either have to accept your argument, or provide legal reasoning as to why they believe the VAT to be applicable.  If you draft up a letter I would be happy to offer a document review.  However so long as your argument is structured to show the reasoning behind the applicability of VAT you should be fine.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello RJM, thank you for your guidance. I have compiled the following email for DHL, which I intend to use as my explanation. Would you be able to take a look and check if in your opinion it shows the reasoning as to why the current VAT charge should be omitted?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (G4VL2L6)

Thank you, ***** ***** this we have to offer a document review.  If you wish to accept then please click the link and send me a message back so I do not lose the feed.  Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, yes, I'd love if you can review this draft and make/suggest any changes to structure, wording etc.

Thank you I have just picked this up now.  I will review this and return in the next 24 hours.  Thank you.

Apologies for the delay.  I will revert to you by end of business tomorrow as today was a lot later than expected.   I hope this is acceptable.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello. No problem, I'd be happy to see any commentary or changes to wording of the letter in any shape most convenient to you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hi have you had a chance to look into my request. Tbhx