Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My ex left 4 months ago. he still has a lot of personal

Customer Question

HI, my ex left 4 months ago. he still has a lot of personal items in my house. Ive given him every opportunity to collect them but he just ignores my texts. Can I dispose of them or do I need to send a legal letter giving him notice?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Glos, UK
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: He verbally agrees that he will and then turns abusive by text and then radio silence, no repsonse
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont think so thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Ben
Sure go ahead
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

WHat is the approximate value of these items?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Difficult to say but approximately £1000
Its mainly clothes, pictures, laptop
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. Whilst you are not expected to hold on to these items indefinitely, if you were to dispose of them you would be expected to give your ex official notice to warn him of the time limit he has to collect them and also what would happen in the event that he fails to do so.

The notice should be sent in writing, specifying the deadline to collect the items and also state that failure to collect them will allow you to dispose of them and you will not be liable for anything to do with them after that.

A month is considered reasonable so do that now and it is just a month that you have to keep hold of them before you can dispose of them.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does that letter need to be sent via a solicitor ( a legal document) or just from myself personally?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Only from you is enough, no solicitors need to get involved here

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you for your advice
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

My pleasure