How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10303
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I would like to know what I can do if I payed for

This answer was rated:

I would like to know what I can do if I payed for professional cleaning and the cleaners damaged my property
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Reading UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i took photos and contacted the company immediately. I also made the cleaners aware before they left which they told me they will take responsibility for charges to fix it. I sent another email this morning asking for written confirmation of this and have been ignored
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s wll

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you

Write to them and ask them to pay for the damage. If they do not so write to them again and ask them to pay within 14 days or face legal action.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

Claims between £10,000 and £25,000 are subject to fixed costs only so if you lose then the risk is minimal. Further, the money claim website allows you to sue for an amount up to £100,000.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of fees are here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you are on a low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits), you can ask the court for a fee remission so you do not have to pay the court issue fee.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The cleaning company were there for end of tenancy cleaning which is happening on Monday. What do I say to the agency about this situation?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also, the email I address I have been using to communicate with the company is being responded by a lady named “Mary” who is their “customer representative” but the phone numbers provided on the website all get answered by the same make cleaner that came to clean the property. I have asked to speak to Mary several times but he has given me several excuses that why I cannot directly speak to her. I fear she does not exist!
That they are liable for damage to the property and you will be suing them for the damage and pay the landlord/agent for the damage in the meantime. Regarding Mary it does not matter if she exists or not the process is the same. I trust this assists
Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you