JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Defermation, uk, my husband and i attended a meeting and

Customer Question

defermation
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: my husband and i attended a meeting and have recently recieved the minutes in which there are a umber of factual incaccuracies. There is one statement made `Mr X
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is one statement made ` Mr X became visibly annoyed that Mr Y couldn`t give a date for the next meeting`. This was a statement that was based upon Mr Y perception of Mr X`s annoyance. This perception was incorrect.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue. I will give you my thoughts and details of where you stand.

A defamation claim requires that someone has either verbally said something (slander), or written something (libel) which was untrue and they knew it to be untrue - with the intention to damage your reputation. The untrue comments have to be brought to a third party’s attention to qualify.

The minutes of the meeting would need to be published to third parties, in other words.

Just a note, a defamation claim has to be a lie, not simply an inaccurate statement - and your reputation has to suffer as a result of those statements.
There is a defence if the person who made the comments can prove the comments were true, or they held an honest belief their comments were true.
So there is a high evidential burden to prove defamation - meaning a lengthy court case. And the person who defamed you needs the means to pay any court judgment which is another consideration - it is all well and good to sue but ultimately if they have no money then it would be a pyrrhic victory. If it's a company who defamed you then the chances improve though again, it depends if they are in financial health or not.

You can claim for any financial loss incurred such as lost business, lots future job prospects and anything else reasonably incurred.

The limitation period is only 1 year for a defamation claim, so you should ensure you issue the claim at court within a year of the incident.

To stop further damage you need to send them a cease and desist letter. A template “cease and desist” letter is available at https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/

These claims are complex with them being heard in the High Court so you would be well advised to instruct a firm on a no win no fee basis - a few do offer this so you would not have to pay anything up front. Here are examples of law firms who could help you with this :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks Jim. The meeting minutes appeared to be an attack on my husbands emotions (annoyance) and behaviour (loud) and didnt focus on key discussion points which ultimately paint a pretty poor picture of our family. And those discussion points that were noted were not correct.We then recieved an inappropriate behaviour letter claiming he was aggressive with additional (made up) text that was not minuted. The chair has also claimed through this letter that he gave a verbal warning to my husband which again was not minutedand did not happen. I am writing to the board of governors how I realise it is our word against his. I assume there is nothing else I can do ?The statement could be a lie or it could be an inaccurate statement. The fact is he did not know the correct reason for my husbands annoyance and has written his opinion. The fact is that he did not validate the reason for the annoyance and therefore my husband has been made to look pretty stupid as a result. These minutes will be filled for others to access. They will also be shared with others who attended the meeting - would this count as published?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thanks - I would say it was your word against theirs unless it was recorded but I am not sure it was. Yes, it would be worth writing to the Board of Governors. It could well be their opinion but if you were there too and it is obviously a lie, then it's a deliberate attempt to discredit you/your husband in that case. And yes, minutes of meetings are generally published to third parties