How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6059
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have an unauthorised occupant in property and would like

Customer Question

Hi I have an unauthorised occupant in property and would like to evict them. Do I need to get a warrant for eviction. I have served a notice to quit. Whats my next steps?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm based in South London. England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Notice has been served its expired now provided 14 days notice to vacate.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
I am a solicitor in England and Wales. It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no need for phone call
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your patience. It depends on how they have access to your property. If they were a tenant and have not left at end of tenancy then you must follow the possession proceedings route through the county court.
If they are a lodger then you ought to give them reasonable notice which you have and you can simply change the keys.
If they are trespassing and you never have authority for them to be in the property then you call the police to assist you, you do not need to take possession proceedings in that case.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best