SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have an unauthorised occupant in property and would like

Customer Question

Hi I have an unauthorised occupant in property and would like to evict them. Do I need to get a warrant for eviction. I have served a notice to quit. Whats my next steps?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm based in South London. England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Notice has been served its expired now provided 14 days notice to vacate.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor in England and Wales. It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no need for phone call
Thank you for your patience. It depends on how they have access to your property. If they were a tenant and have not left at end of tenancy then you must follow the possession proceedings route through the county court.
If they are a lodger then you ought to give them reasonable notice which you have and you can simply change the keys.
If they are trespassing and you never have authority for them to be in the property then you call the police to assist you, you do not need to take possession proceedings in that case.
Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best