SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have had a terrible experience with a travel agent, Break

Customer Question

Good morning. I have had a terrible experience with a travel agent, Break 4 Holidays. They do not seem to have a complaints procedure. What should I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Harrow, London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, apart from telephoning them. Here's a bit of background. I'm disabled with heart failure and osteoporosis. I don't need a wheelchair but I do need time to get about as I get breathless. When I booked my holiday, they booked it under the company owner so I was not able to check in with Easyjet online; which caused me a lot of anxiety. I phoned them and they offered to check in for me, but they wanted my passpost number and I suddenly felt distrust for them. I had to phone Easyjet for them to check me in. I have not travelled from Luton before. I drove to the airport and when I arrived, I checked in my bags and went to the assistance booth but they said I had to book online and they only offer wheelchair assistance, I have been fighting my disability putting me in a wheelchair for 18 years so I did not want o be put in a wheelchair. I sat down to rest by the gate and there was no last call. When I checked at the gate, they said I was one minute late and it was too late. They sent me to the Easyjet desk who said there was nothing they could do. I went to the bag check in and they said it was too late and mty bag had gone. I asked if it would be taken off the plane but the man said no. I was left with the impression that my bag had gone to Egypt. I went to the assistance desk crying but they would not help. I called the travel agent who told me that the only option was to rebook or try to catch up with my luggage. They booked me a ticket costing £245 from Stanstead. I was forced to pay £46 to travel across London, with heart failure dragging my hand luggage and nearly passed out from pain. I caught my second flight, but when I arrived in Sharm el Sheikh, my suitcase not there. The travel agent also told me, a 51 year old disabled woman, to go outside the airport at 2am in a foreign country to find a taxi to transfer me to the hotel. I subsequently arrived at the hotel but my heart medication, clothes, phone charger, Egyptian sim card, food (special dietary needs) and swimwear was all in my suitcase. I had to assk the hotel reception to charge my phone from their computer. No attempt was made by the travel agent to see if I had arrived safely, It cost £3.50 per minute to call them and the manager shouted over me, blamed me, and did nothing to find my luggage. I was very ill during my stay because all my pain medication was in my suitcase too, I booked an all inclusive holiday so I was not expecting extra costs. The company has no respect or understanding of disabilities,
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was forced to buy swim wear, clothes, snorkel and otc medicines which did not help my odema or pain. My vegan products which I use to demonstrate vegan cooking to chefs wherever I stay, were also in the suitcase. I was hoping to introduce plantbased meats to them ahead of COP27. This was supposed to be a bucket list trip with the last of my savings as I am unable to work due to disabilities. I'm very disappointed it that it was ruined. Easyjet contacted me two days after I returned and said that my bag had never left Luton and that no one had contacted them or reported it lost. The travel agent failed to do that, despite my phone call. I was forced to pay further to drive to Luton to retrieve it, All the vegan food was spoiled but thankfully the other contents were safe.Customer: Chat is completed
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 18 days ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question

Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello, thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I can't afford a live telphone call. Sorry.

I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No problem. Take your time. I'm free all day.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Thnak you very much for you patience. I am very sorry to thear of your situation. Where you had at least two elements of your holidat booked for by the agent it would be a linked-travel agreement and they would have an obligation to ensure that what they have sold to you is satisfied. The diffculty in your situation is with proving that there was no call for your flight and that you were sat waiting at the gate with sufficient time to spare but were left at the airport. Also there would be no tangible evidence rgahat you were told your bags had left for egypt. IT seems clearly that the travel agent did not have good customer service howeevr the rerason for the start of this snowball effect was the failure to board the flight and you will struggle to prove any legal liability on the agent forthat failure..I am very sorry that clearly you have suffered loss and your holiday was spoilt from the outset however to rpove liabiloity either on the part of the agent or Easyjet the level of evidence needed is not something I think you will have.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to assist or clarify anything. Thank you for contacting justa answer. All the best.