Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I had an issue with someone like 2 years ago, they damaged

Customer Question

Hi I had an issue with someone like 2 years ago, they damaged my car and pleased guilty but I've never heard anything since and never received payment for damages, I don't know who to contact regarding this
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It was northern Ireland
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: None other then awaiting payment which i still have not received He pleaded guilty
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dunno why I haven't heard anything else this was nearly 2 and half years agi Ago
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

1.  If someone damaged your car two and a half years ago, then you need to sue them if you want compensation for the loss you have suffered.  So, you should see a solicitor near where you live in Northern Ireland and get legal proceedings issued against the person who damaged your car.  Because they pleaded guilty to damaging your car, then there is no issue on liability.  The only issue for the court will be the assessment of damages. So, here, you need to provide evidence as to the loss you suffered.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
All I wanted to know is what direction to go next
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

2.  Apart from suing the person, there is no other way to obtain compensation for the loss you have suffered, in Northern Ireland.   There is no system of compensating you from another source.  So, for this reason, you need to sue the person and get compensated for the loss you suffered.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He already pleaded guilty and I forwarded on
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Bank details but still no payment received from 2 years ago
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

3. Then you need to sue the person for the damage they caused.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there a number I can call regarding this to find out why I haven't been paid yet
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

4.  I regret to say that there is no number you can call to see why you haven't been compensated, unless you ring the person who caused the damage.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
If I contact a solicitor about this will I still have to pay solicitor fees as well even though he has already pleaded guilty to this
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

5.  If you have already made a claim under the Northern Irish Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme, then you can follow it up.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How do I follow it up, I just forwarded on bank details, but this was a long time ago so I have no contact number or details of anyone that can help me follow this up
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

6.  Here is a link to how you make a claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay I can't see linkn
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Link however
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

7.  If you wish to follow it up, then I would advise you to see a solicitor and see what stage your claim is at.  It ought to have reached the Decision Stage a long time ago.  However, if you use a solicitor, then the solicitor will want money in fees.  So, you should take this into account.  Here is the link Claiming compensation for criminal damage | nidirect

Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

8.  Here is a link to Compensation Services where you can ring to find out what has happened in relation to your claim, if you have already made one Compensation Services contact | Department of Justice (justice-ni.gov.uk)