marcusmalin
marcusmalin,
66642005

I recently visited a private dentist and was charged £630

Customer Question

I recently visited a private dentist and was charged £630 for a tooth extraction. I am questioning whether I have been over charged.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In hackney The dentist was in Liverpool Street
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any steps
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  marcusmalin replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

For a simple extraction that is certainly excessive.

I would suggest that you contact a few other dentists and just ask then roughly what they would charge - do not mention the dispute.

If it becomes apparent that you have been overcharged you should write to the dentist stating that you feel you were overcharged and expect to be refunded - being the difference between what you paid and any estimates you obtain.

If they do not refund then the next step would be to report them to their professional body and / or make a claim through the small claims court against them.

I can provide links for the professional body and small claims court.

Complaining about private dental treatment

If you wish to make a complaint about private dental services, contact the practice manager of the private dental surgery. Your complaint must be made within 12 months of receiving treatment.

If your complaint is not resolved satisfactorily, you may want to consider contacting the General Dental Council, which sets standards of conduct and regulates all dental professionals in the UK. It may be able to investigate your concerns.

You can also contact the Dental Complaints Service on(###) ###-####0800 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or visit its website for more information.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Above is a link if your need to make a claim but I would refer the matter General Dentist Council first if the dentist does not respond.

Marcus.