MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

We have a bonus scheme at work which is calculated on how

We have a bonus scheme at work which is calculated on how many hours we are contracted for. My employer has put me down as 15 hours because I have now changed to part time after coming off of furlough. The time the bonus scheme is for. I was contracted to 40 hours a week. I am the only one in the company that has had this. Others have been on furlough longer than me and they still got their full amount of money.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: The HR is the same person that does the accounts. Yes I have discussed it with directors and I’m just have to accept it
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am a director of the company and struggles very much with the other four directors constantly trying to push me out.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: At the moment I just want to know if they are legally allowed to do that or not.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, is your bonus payment contractual or discretionary?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Matthew. I believe it to be contractual

Thank you for the confirmation, I would advise that your first step would be to raise a formal grievance, and send this to HR the following link should assist you in raising a grievance:

https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-procedure-step-by-step/step-2-raising-a-formal-grievance

If this does not resolve the bonus payment issue, it would appear that you would have grounds for a breach of contract claim.

To commence this you would need to enter into conciliation with ACAS, using the following link:

https://tell.acas.org.uk/

This is a free and impartial service whereby ACAS will try to resolve the matter between yourselves and ACAS, if this fails they will issue a certificate allowing you to bring a claim to the employment tribunal.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. thanks very much for your help it will help me considerably

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.