How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

The buyer of my computer (sent by post) refuses to pay me or

This answer was rated:

The buyer of my computer (sent by post) refuses to pay me or return it to me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Kent and I sent it to Wolverhampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Many messages and phone calls and an email to Wolverhampton Trading Standards
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Sure I had a scam email allegedly from RBS
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Still waiting a response


Welcome to Ja

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

It appears court action maybe necessary to recover the funds owed to you for the purchase. However before you commence such action you will need to send a letter before action.

Do you understand what I have stated so far?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Anthony
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you. So I will write to the address I sent the computer to stating Court action would be taken


Yes a letter should be sent to the address.

The letter before action should outlines reasons why you are owed the amount in question and failure to pay within a set deadline will result in court action.

Please see below a template letter format that can be amended to suit your position.

insert name and address)                                                                                                             (insert date)


Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter and to the above sum.

[Then explain why they owe you the amount in question].

I note that, notwithstanding my requests for payment of £[insert amount], in respect of [amount of the debt], I have yet to receive payment. In the circumstances, I am no longer prepared to leave this matter in abeyance and, unless payment of the sum is received within [insert reasonable period of time, eg 14 days] of the date of this letter, I  will  commence proceedings without further notice.

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert deadline date ). Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you and your company whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

Assuming the letter does not produce the desired result i suggest you return to JA and we can assist you with the next steps which may be court action that you have put the firm on notice about.

I hope i have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you

Your welcome