AkuaK
AkuaK, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109603637

Booked flight to USA for my wife and me 8th Oct last year

Customer Question

Booked flight to USA for my wife and me 8th Oct last year with Aer Lingus flying out of Dublin to Chicago on 1st May 2021. Because of Covid restrictions leading up to the flight date we changed the departure date twice after that, costing more money each time, because Covid flight restrictions still in place. With no immediate possibility looming to that the US Govt were going to open up flight path for us to travel or allow flights from Dublin, we asked for a voucher to cover cost of flight we had paid for. Request was accepted and we were notified by Aer Lingus that they had cancelled our booking. We waited till a week ago & no voucher came. They just informed us we were not entitled. How can they not issue voucher? If we gad arrived at aurport we would have been denied boarding.
JA: Where are you and your wife? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In n. Ireland
JA: What steps have you and your wife taken so far?
Customer: I completed the Aer Lingus on-line Voucher Request. They have replied with a system generated reply stating that the voucher would be sent to me shortly
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have copies of my correspondence to & from them
Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

Good morning, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

If Aer Lingus are still refusing to give you the flight voucher the next time would be to go through Atol protected which is the airline insurance whereby if you have any issue they will sort it out.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

https://www.caa.co.uk/atol-protection/

Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

I hope this answers your question. Please do come back to me if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Good morning. Thank you for your reply. I am in receipt of an email from Aer Lingus, altho it may be system generated, replying to my request for a voucher and it clearly states that a voucher will be sent to ne shortly. As l had no further communication from them till l rang them a week ago, l was in the assumption that it would arrive in due course. I would point out that l did not know when Covid restrictions for flights would be eased to allow my wife & l to fly to visit family in USA ... or indeed when the US would allow flights from UK or Ireland so this is why we kept changing our flight dates. We really are in a situation where we could not do anything else other than change the flight dates or ask for a voucher ..... Aer Lingua accepted our request and NEVER at any point during the application for it did they mention that we were not entitled!!!
So PLEASE HELP US ..... WE SPENT €914.32 on the flight to visit our family we havent seen for 2yrs. We are both oebsioners in our 70's and can ill afford to lose this money.
Expert:  AkuaK replied 9 days ago.

As I have mentioned above you can go through ATOL protected and they will retrieve your money through making a claim.