Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm just wondering about how to protect the design of

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I'm just wondering about how to protect the design of furniture that we are making. We have only just starting making the furniture and are looking to set up a company and start selling it in the next few months. We can obviously trademark the logo/company name, but what is the best way to prevent someone just copying our furniture design? Many thanks, ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thank you for your speedy response! We live in Coulsdon, Surrey, UK, but are planning to move to London, UK in the next few months.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have just been making the furniture and have come up with a name for the company. We haven't taken any steps with protecting the furniture design or the company name as yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I don't think so. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

1.  You can register the design of your furniture and in this way protect it from being copied.  Here is a link to the UK Government website where it explains how to register your design and the protection provided Register a design - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).  Essentially, you need to make illustrations of your furniture and register these so that the design rights are protected. The design right can be protected for up to 25 years.  However, you need to re-register it every five years.  Registering the design makes protection of the design by legal action much easier.   This is the best way to prevent someone copying or infringing your furniture design.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

2. If you require clarification or if you wish to share additional information, I will  be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.