How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My oldest child wishes to change their name, We live in

This answer was rated:

Hi my oldest child wishes to change their name
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Scotland. They are going to be 17 next month. They want to identify as male and change it from Kiera to Ezra
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: We have printed out the statutory declaration but we are unsure how to go about filing it rtc
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there a certain type of solicitors that deal with this

Hi, I am happy to help you with your enquiry today.

Generally, everyone with parental responsibility for the child must consent to the name change. However, this rule does not apply if the child is 16 years of age or over (or approaching their 16th birthday).

In that case, they must apply for the name change their own via statutory declaration, and parental consent is no longer required. As to the recording process, the change of name can be recorded with the National Records of Scotland.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No thank you.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Thank you for your enquiry today. Please do not hesitate to contact me in future.

MARTINT330 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you