Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Refund on some jewellery l recently brought, Oxfordshire, I

Customer Question

Refund on some jewellery l recently brought
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the jeweller and to barclaycard as l paid for it on my card
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It states on the receipt that refunds are not given but this is not told to you at the time of purchase l exchanged the bracelet for a chain as it was for my grandsons 18 and as he was given 2 the chain was £70 and the bracelet was £170 and they will not refund the £100
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

When did you make the purchase? and was it online or in-store?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
16/9/21
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
In store
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will carry on on line
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

If you bought an item in-store, there is no automatic right to a refund and no cooling off period to cancel or return the purchase. They are not obliged to tell you that there is a no-refund policy because that is the default legal position and they are only obliged to tell you if they do have a refund policy, which would be their choice and something provided at their discretion only.

You will only have the right to a refund, if in the first 30 days after purchase, it became clear that the item was not as described, not of satisfactory quality, or not fit for purpose. Usually, this means it was faulty or it did not match its description (e.g. the metal it was made out of is not what you were told it would be).

If there was nothing wrong with it and you simply changed your mind, there will be no right to a refund and it will only be possible if the store has a refund policy, which as mentioned, is up to them.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.