Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I was targeted on Thursday by two employees of M&S and they

Customer Question

Hi I was targeted on Thursday by two employees of M&S and they thought I stole something without paying. So, what happened I was trying a coat on the store and saw a lady with a talkie-walkie and looking at me and speaking at the same time. Deep down I thought I was the one they are looking at but I know myself I didn’t give them any more intention. And I decided not to take the coat and took my shopping and went through food hall to go downstairs to the car park, while going through the security barrier before the escalator the alarm went off so I stopped (I was surprised) and turned back and found the man who was watching me just behind my back and he said did you buy anything?, so I explained to him what I did in the store and at the same time I noticed he had the alarm tag in his hand…., so he looked into my bags and I went downstairs and this time the alarm didn’t go off, so I came back and spoke to him that it was him who run after me and triggered the alarm and made me think that I did something wrong so I exchanged few words with him and went back to my car and made a complaint over the phone. They told us going to take from one to three week and then they will get back to me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: made a complaint but still haven’t heard from them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I felt targeted as a Muslim woman and u directly accused of stealing and made me look like a foul…I felt discriminated again as I had a problem at the same store two years ago where an employee refused to serve à the coffee shop at the same store and nothing was done
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Like what?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

What is your specific query in relation to this please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do I have any legal right to have legal action against the store
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

It is going to be very difficult to take any legal action against the store, because to do so you must be able to prove that you were specifically targeted because of your race. However, there is no evidence that this was the case and it could be just a coincidence. Also, if the store can show that other, non-Muslims, were treated in a similar way in their store, then they can defend any argument that this was discrimination. I suspect it is likely that they can show that white, or non-Muslim, customers have also been stopped so this is what will make your claim difficult.

Due to the difficulty with proving a claim, you are best advised to pursue this internally only, using the store’s or company’s own complaints procedure.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I understand I knew that it was a lost battle but I had to do something
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best