Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I need to get power of attorney my mum is in a care home is

I need to get power of attorney my mum is in a care home is there anyway I can do it easily
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Huntingdon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The care home need payment as she has been there for a couple of months now but she has the start of dementia
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is there anything you can help me with

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What is the easiest way to get power of attorney and the cheapest possible

1.  You need to make an application to the Office of the Public Guardian so that a Deputy may be appointed to handle your Mum's affairs.  You can make an application at this link Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).  You need to make this application because someone with dementia, such as your Mum, lacks the legal capacity necessary to make a Lasting Power of Attorney.  Instead, a Deputy needs to be appointed to handle her financial affairs and to pay any care home fees which might be necessary.

2.  So, because your Mum lacks the necessary legal capacity, because of dementia, to make a Lasting Power of Attorney, you need to make an application for a Deputy to be appointed.  The Deputy then handles your Mum's affairs and pays off any bills which might accrue because of her care.