Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I've got a question about returning a car bought via

Hi, I've got a question about returning a car bought via distance selling
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've advised the company that I don't want to keep the car but I'm trying to understand the situation with the vehicle that I traded in against the car. Am I obliged to take it back if i cancel the order or should the dealer now keep it?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Ben
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm at work so not contactable at the moment

What are you ideally hoping to achieve in the circumstances? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Apologies I was not aware that the service was so immediate, I'll make contact again later today.

No problem, I will wait to hear from you

Hi there, are you able to continue with this now? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Ben, I've find out the information that I require so I no longer need any advice. Many thanks.

Not to worry, just to clarify, if you were to cancel the purchase and return the car using your consumer rights in a distance sale, you would also cancel the contract for the sale of the part exchange car and would be expected to take that back. Obviously if the car has been sold that is no longer possible and you would be due a cash equivalent, which can also be agreed with the company even if they still have the car.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Much appreciated, many thanks. I re-read the original contract and it says that the decision to either keep the part-ex or return it is "at their discretion". I don't want it back as it's worth more than the car that I bought, but they may not leave me any choice. Cheers ***** ***** feedback.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best