Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Had a kitchen from Wren. In England. We were left without an

Customer Question

Had a kitchen from Wren.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In England. We were left without an over / hob for over 10 weeks. We have submitted a claijm for costs incurretnt (eating out / takeawayd / plus hassle / stress etc.). They have offered a "gesture of goodwill' £1000 -0 which does not come close to our claim. Thinking of rejecting their 'offer' and going down the small claims route
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: To rersolve issue - over was eventually deliveerd and installed (afterb 10 weeks). Kitchen then finished after 17 weeks of it starting work. 2 weeks ago we followed Wren's complain procedure detialing the issue and £ we were claiming for - today they have come back with a £1k 'offer'
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else just yet, thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

How much do you want to claim?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

and did you provide them with a breakdown of the total figure?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Ben - we submitted a claim for £7,766.45 to Wren. They came back with £1000. If we go down the small claim route, I think we would nee tto add on an extra 455
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Breakdown was
1,794 - additional meal costs
386.05 - additional kitchen equipment purchaased whilst we were without cooking facilities
86.40 - removals company hired to deliver the unbit for us eventuaklly
500 - my time / calls / emails
5000 - hassle / stress
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you provide them with a breakdown of the total figure?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no call for now thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

I must admit that your claim is rather high and unlikely to be successful at that value. Claiming £5,000 for stress and inconvenience is what will be the deal breaker most likely and not something that would be considered fair or reasonable here. I, of course, appreciate that having had no oven for 10 weeks would have been inconvenient and stressful but to claim £5k, whilst you still managed to be fed and have food, meals etc (for which you are claiming anyway), is unlikely to be considered fair. Several hundred pounds would have been more reasonable for something like that, alth0ugh a specific figure does not exist and that is down to the courts.

Also the meals – you cannot claim the full cost of these back. Had you had a working oven you would have still had to pay for food to cook at home so you cannot claim that the meals you had to have instead were the full costs you incurred in the circumstances – they are an additional expense, but that must be offset against the food which you would have paid for and eaten had you had a working oven.

You can still make a claim if needed, but be more realistic about what you are claiming from them.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for the info Ben - certainly some things for us to digest here
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best