How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 254
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

I have signed a tenancy agreement however my flatmate is

This answer was rated:

I have signed a tenancy agreement however my flatmate is threatening self harm and falsely accusing me of emotional agression after only living together for 2 weeks. I feel unsafe. What are my options?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have left the property
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing

Thank you for using Just Answer i will be assisting you today.

Please note the following points:-

Just Answer host the website and deal with payments and billing. Any queries or concerns about this must be raised with their customer services ( tel: 0808(###) ###-####. I am just a legal expert answering your enquiry and do not have any involvement with the fees charged by the website.

My replies are always in writing.

I may not respond straight away if i am away from my desk but will respond as soon as i am able to so please be patient.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website. If you request a telephone call with an expert it will be with whichever expert is available. Customer services will undertake this. This service is subject to additional charges and with whichever expert that is available at that time.

If you accidentally select a call you will need to contact customer services.

We as experts only provide general legal advise. We do not offer legal representation or client/solicitor retainer.

The advice that i provide is general legal advice and i may also refer you to government guidance which is publicly available.

I cannot act as your solicitor or enter into a client/solicitor relationship. If you need representation you need to instruct a solicitor.

If your enquiry requires me to read and advise on documentation this is a premium service subject to additional costs of which you will be advised.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider contacting any of the following organisations:-;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can so please bear with me.

If you have signed a joint tenancy you will be jointly liable under the terms of the agreement unless there is a provision in the agreement such as a break clause that can be exercised. You can try and request the landlord mutually agree to terminate the agreement but will need to negotiate any terms with him /her in that respect.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The break clause is after 6 months. What’s the best way to go about it when requesting to end the tenancy with the landlord?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
At the moment my flatmate is happy to break tenancy as soon as possible.

As i said you have to then approach the landlord and negotiate a surrender with them. The landlord may want monies paid, or seek for a replacement tenant but you need to contact him/her in the first instance.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I understand that; I am looking for the best way to communicate this to my landlord. Should I do it in written form or have an informal conversation with them? Should I provide evidence immediately or should I give a brief overview of the situation? What’s the best and most efficient way forward for me please?

Formally write to them so you have a record of the same. You need to inform them of when you moved in, the brief reasons for you now seeking to end the tenancy and request their proposals on how this can be best achieved.

Inderdeep and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I understand. Thank you for your time.