How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 81078
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My dog was sold an now police are investigating it hes in my

Customer Question

My dog was sold an now police are investigating it hes in my name an i proof i paid for him what can i do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: mansfield area Ng178hg
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: been to police given her proof i paid for him I got his microchip card an details !
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: other than she said she had him weeks but only recently took him to vets so she’s also abused him
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I want my dog back my mate son was looking after him an i said I want him back he’s not to sell him or anything turns out he’s sold him to a lady an now police are taking forever to sort it out I want him back! Hes my daughters therapy dog.I sent proof of payment to police an proof of his card details aswel what’s my next step?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not paying 44 pound to chat ! Ive paid to ask a question! What’s my next steps
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Thank you.

The police are not likely to be able to do much about this. They investigate crime. This is just a dispute over the ownership of a dog.

They won't prosecute her as she did pay for him.

If you want to recover him you will have to seek a possession order but that would cost roughly £500 ish if you didn't use representation.

Obviously she may defend on the basis that it was a lawful purchase of an abandoned dog.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How do a get this possession order?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

You would have to sue at the civil courts.

you need to write to her first warning her of the risks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But police won’t give me her address
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

But your son knows to whom he sold the dog?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My friends son sold my dog to a lady he knows where she lives an so do the police !
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What kind of possession order do I need to go for?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

A possession order for the delivery up of the dog.