How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10307
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

There's 2 issues for me - my ex is dragging his feet in

Customer Question

There's 2 issues for me - my ex is dragging his feet in selling our jointly owned home and is also not accepting an equal share in the equity once sold
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing legally
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Me still lives in the house, I don't. He's withholding info and doing things to the house without my consent.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

I take it this is all based on a private consensual arrangement and not via a court order?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you! Everything done so far has been us trying to solve it without any legal action but it's nearing 2 years now I just want to know my legal stance so that I can almost scare him in to working things out without the need of a court. Hope you can help?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

I see, well if it goes to court the starting position would be a 50/50 split of the equity. In terms of forcing a sale you can go to court for something called an order for sale which in essence will bestow upon you sole right to take possession and control of the property and sell it as you wish. Then to divide the proceeds of sale between you. I trust this assists