Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Last night I had to call an emergency plumber to a blocked

Last night I had to call an emergency plumber to a blocked toilet I paid £250 call up fee before they would come out a man came spent approximately 30 mins unblocking the toilet and charged me £650 therefore my total cost was almost £1000
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Blackburn st Marks road
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am trying to contact the plumber to query but cannot get a reply to me phone call
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my husband has dementia I am 78 years old and disabled I was desperate it was the middle of the night and once he’d done the job I felt in no position to query it

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How you obtained other comparable quotes for this job?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No it was the middle of the night freezing cold I was exhausted and so I just went for the first one that can.e up
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't want a phone call I can't afford £44 please cancel the whole thing
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please remove me from your list and confirm that you have done this

Hello, I am just an independent user on this site, in the same way as you are, which means that unfortunately I have no involvement in the billing side of things. If you need to query anything to do with billing, charges or membership, you may be able to take certain actions by going to your account on this site. Alternatively, please contact the site’s customer service team directly. You can find their contact details by following this link:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

Hopefully, they will resolve any issues you have to your satisfaction.

Going back to your query, when a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

- Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

- Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

If there are cost disputes, for example the trader is asking for additional money either during or at the end of the work, consumers can potentially challenge these. Ideally, it is preferable to have a written agreement in place, setting out what price was agreed and what for, so that both parties can refer to it. Assuming that does not exist, if the consumer knew that any extra work was being carried out and allowed the trader to continue, a reasonable price would need to be negotiated for it as it may not be possible to completely refuse to compensate them for it. This should, however, still prevent the trader from charging for work which was not agreed or communicated, or if the costs are clearly becoming unreasonable high when compared to the original quote or what is considered reasonable in these circumstances.

You can threaten them with a report to Trading Standards and negotiate a reduction in costs

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have unsubscribed to your service

no problem, thanks