How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3765
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My mother in law’s relationship has ended after 15 years.

Customer Question

My mother in law’s relationship has ended after 15 years. Her name is ***** ***** deeds. Her ex is seeking a notice of severance so his property can revert to a sole name. What rights does she have?
JA: Where is her ex? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Both are in London
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: None but looking to sign the notice of severance and accept £15.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The ex is an alcoholic and more recently been diagnosed with dementia. My mother in law has been his carer for last five years
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you.   If they were married and this was the matrimonial home, he has no right to do this, in order to obtain this he would have to agree.  If he wishes to keep the house, he would have to offer something in return i.e. buy her out.   As here name is ***** ***** deeds this is legally her property therefore his best option is to obtain an agreement in financial settlement.  He cannot simply remove her from the deeds and keep the house to himself, if he did this without her consent she can take legal action remedy the matter.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.