How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 667
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

I need some advice about a small court claim against me,

This answer was rated:

Hi. I need some advice about a small court claim against me
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: Kingston Upon Hull
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.

Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Please let me know what you need to know about the small claims process.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
In August I have sold my car as a private seller. The buyer has been told that it was previously been involved in accident and that it has no dpf. A receipt has been given. The third party decided to claim through small court that she wasn't made aware of this. Today I have received an order from judge to provide with statement/ witness statement and any relevant evidence for the hearing.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
At this point is it relevant to get a solicitor involved ?

Understood. It really depends. You can get a solicitor who can draft a witness statement for you - but it seems to me like a straightforward case so you may not need one. Whats the amount in question here?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The car was sold for 7300 but the claim is for £8600
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It is confusing as why would it go that far, as in my initial response I have declared that a receipt has been given sold as is without warranty. And that I have my neighbour as a witness and my partner.

I see. I would personally get a lawyer involved. All you need to do is to get a witness statement from your neighbour / possibly partner, and make sure that in your defence you mention the receipt and no warranty point.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Understood. Thank you for the advice

This is nothing unusual. The judge will hear the case and will decide on balance on probabilities who is right here. As long as what you have set out above is correct, I see no reason why the judge would agree with the claimant.

Pleasure. Best of luck and many thanks for using our service.

Marcinlondon and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you