SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a question regarding trademark law. I am in England.

Hi, I have a question regarding trademark law.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi, I am in England. My trademark application was opposed. I have since withdrawn the application and am in the process of changing the names of any accounts I have using that name. The domain name soci
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Domain name, social media accounts did not actually post anything other than 1 tweet about a year ago. The opposition request I sign a letter of undertakings, not to use that name, or any that are confusingly similar. I worry the 'confusingly similar' is a bit vague and would be an issue best left to any future TM application oppositions. Also is it necessary to sign this?, as the application has been withdrawn, account names are ***** ***** and they were barely used.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thankyou, I think that's all.

hello welcome to Just answer.

I am a solicitor and It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.

Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, understood.

I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, thank you.

Hi, thank you for your patience. They will want you to make the undertaking and it is common practice where there has been infringement and if they are not pursuing any damages. However you are right about the 'confusingly similar' point, this can only be assessed on a name by name basis and there is no need to protect themselves in advance of any further breach. It is also very subjective so i would not recommend that you sign with that condition included.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to clarify and assist further. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your guidance.

You are welcome