SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I would like to know if I can take someone to court for

I would like to know if I can take someone to court for perjury, I had my first hearing, the other party lied, and presented false witnesses. The matter was resolve but I would like to take him to court for perjury
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: or defamation
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: London Uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i want to know if I can take someone to court in the uk for perjury or defamation

Good day welcome to Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello?

I am a solicitor and It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.

Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, yes

I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I took my ex partner to court to get a non molestation order against him. When I done my statement my solicitors told me not to put my proves yet because we were going for a final hearing and in there I was going to be crossed examined. Not the case
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We had our first hearing, 2 days before my solicitors tells me that my ex partner will get undertaking which to be honest was fine to me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The problem was when I read his response to my statement, he denied all the physical and emotional abuse he done to me, not only that he lied about every single thing, portraying me as violent and aggressive, he also made his family and friends lie about me ad fake witnesses
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The witness statements were false and I believe the judge believed him because é she was very rude and harsh to me. I have tried to kill myself before regarding this matter, I have a 7 months old baby with him and his lies are affecting my emotional and mental health
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have the non molestation order, the judge gave it to me, but his false statement and fake witnesses made me worse emotionally. Do I think is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can prove his statements and witnesses are false.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to do it because my solicitors said was not necessary thinking we were going to a final hearing but never happened as he preferred to take undertaking
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thank you very much for your patience. I am sorry to hear of this. If you believe they lied under oath having signed the statement of truth then you can write to the court that heard the matter and advise of the contempt and request that a judge considers the statements to find that there was contempt of court. It is a criminal offence and therefore the punishment for all the witnesses you believe lied  is not damages for you but he could be imprisoned.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to clarify and assist further. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This was a telephone hearing, we didn’t make the oath. Does it still counts

Any statement given in Court whether in person or remotely binds the person that has said it and you will recall perhaps at the start of the hearing the usher or in some cases the judge giving the warnings on the proceedings and how they are the same as in person and therefore one cannot lie simply because they cannot be seen by the judge.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Based on what I said to u, can I take him or them to court for lying that day? Ido have proves of them lying? Would that be for perjury or defamation?

It would only be defamation if they said things about you that are not true and as a result of which your reputation has been damaged. If this was in Court setting and nobodyelse apart from the lying person and the judge and representatives heard them then your reputation would not be affected  although you will feel terrible about the lies. Perjury would result in a contempt of court action and as stated above yes you could however you will not benefit from this unless the remedy you want is for them to be found guilty and be arrested.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

You are welcome.