james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have been arrested for drink driving on the 4th of July

Customer Question

good afternoon, I have been arrested for drink driving on the 4th of July 2021 and then realised under investigation after my blood samples been tested. they came out at 105ml instead of 80ml I still havent received anything to follow up is this normal ?
JA: What was the penalty for the drink driving offence? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: I did not have any penalty or even a court date
JA: Where are you located? Drink driving laws vary by location.
Customer: it happened in the new forest now I live in Gloucester and told the police my change of adress
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  james bruce replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thank you

Just to confirm tha5 you did give police the change of address and also notify DVLA of change of address both for driving licence and V5 document?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I did yes
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I did not have any follow up since

Ok, so blood sample was taken, you were released under investigation not on bail is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
released without bail

Ok. The police would then either ask you to return to the station so they could charge you, or, a court summons could be issued to summons you to court for the offence of drink driving. The normal time period limit for that is 6 months from the offence occurring or, form when the offence was confirmed. So they are still in time to issue the summons.

I would advice that you contact the police yourself just to check that no summons has been issued that you did n8t receive. It if has, it is possible it went to the wrong address, you would not have know and the case would have been dealt in your absence.

Alternatively you could go online and check your driving record with DVLA. If the case went ahead without you, you would have been disqualified and that will show at DVLA.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be any chance that the case could be dropped ? I have a french driving licence by the way.

Ok, so no DVLA record to check. Then I would advice double checking with the police just incase the matter has been to court.

With a foreign licence and the time that has past they may not continue especially if the address on licence is overseas. The6 could however have sent summons to the address on the licence.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They haven’t send anything to the address on the driving licence

It may be that they decided for some reason not to continue, or as advised, they still have time to issue the summons in the six month period. I would wait a couple of weeks so the six month from offence has passed then contact police to see if anything has taken place.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.