How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5881
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

In October 2020 I received a Notice of Intended prosecution

This answer was rated:

In October 2020 I received a Notice of Intended prosecution from Avon and Somerset police. I accepted the fixed penalty notice, paid £100 fine and sent my driving licence to the address they supplied by DPD courier. The letter with my driving licence was refused by the addressee so presuming an error I resent only to have the letter returned again. I then called them on the numbers provided but as this was at the height of one of the lockdowns I received a recorded message to say I had to email. I did this but received no reply. At this point I had complied to the best of my ability so I couldn’t see what else to do.I subsequently received a Single Justice Notice charging me with 1/ failure to give information and 2/ speeding. I replied not guilty to failure to give information and guilty to speedy. As a consequence they heard the case in my absence, and without my knowledge and it looks like they have thrown out the case of failure to give information and just charged me with the lesser charge of speeding. However because it went to court due to their incompetence I have now been £512 instead of the original £100. This doesn’t seem fair as I did everything I was asked to do and the failure was in most on their part.Have a good grounds to ask for the caser to be reopened?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted SJS contact centre who advised I contact the court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't thgink so :)

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks James

Further to our call.

Yes contact Bath magistrates in the morning , explain what  has happened and that you had originally been offered a fixed penalty which was accepted, and the £100 fine paid.

Due to some failure at the other end the licence was not accepted in the post by them.

You were then charged with failure to provide details, which were in fact provided, you pled not guilty to that and the charge was dropped.

However the speed fine was high, especially as you had already accepted and paid the £100.

Hopefully a justice can review this an amend the fine imposed they have the power to do this.

if they don't, then you can appeal the sentence ie fine to the crown court.

You need to inform the magistrates court of this within 21 days of your sentence/notification.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.