How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3755
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have a query ro do with rental properties, South Wales,

Customer Question

Hello, I have a query ro do with rental properties
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Wales, Dinas
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far because I would like advice first before actioning anything ūüėä
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The query is on behalf of someone else
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 4 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

What would you like to know as this will determine whether i can assit.


Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Basically, I have checked to see if my mother's landlord is registered and I can not find his or his partners name on the landlord register for Wales. Also the house my mother rents is not a registered rental property either.Now, I am pretty sure this is illegal, right?Surely as a landlord he needs to be registered & the property also needs to be registered?We think he is being very shady about everything personally
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 4 days ago.

Unfortunately this is out of my expertise therefore i will opt out.


Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am not free to talk over the phone but any help you can provide would be great
Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for the question.   Yes they both have to be registered.   In addition to this they also have to register your deposit.  Every landlord in the UK is required by law to register their deposits with the government deposit scheme (you should have received notification of this from the deposit scheme).  This is called deposit protection.  If a landlord fails to do this, they can be taken to court by the tenant. For failure to protect the deposit.  The fine for this can be 3x the initial deposit.  It would be advisable to let the landlord know this is your intended course of action should they not return your deposit.  If a landlord has protected your deposit and they are of the opinion you require to contribute to any lost rent, damages to the dwelling etc. they require to raise this with the deposit scheme who will notify you of this intent.  If you oppose this action, you can do so by reverting to them and advising of the same.  If there is a dispute there is an arbitration department who can decide if, and how a deposit will be distributed or paid back.   If they owe you any other money you can make a small actions claim to obtain this back.    You can speak with your landlord about both issues if they do not offer any remedy, you can escalate this to the local authority I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

and also the property ombudsman.