How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 189
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I recently separated from my child’s father who I was living

This answer was rated:

I recently separated from my child’s father who I was living with for 10 years however my name was never on the mortgage as we moved into a bigger house when we had our son who’s now 7 I am wondering if I am entitled to any money from the sale of the house at all. ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I haven’t spoken to anybody about it yet, I live in the United Kingdom 🇬🇧
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we are separated I live in private rented and my ex has just recently sold the house we both lived in and has brought a new house for him self, we both share custody of our child 50 50
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: when we originally separated over a year ago he verbally said he would be giving me £10,000 but nothing was put in writing and he won’t even tell me his new address

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No thank you

Hi, we do not need to do a phone call we can continue on live chat.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

Can I ask, were you married to your ex partner?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No never married

If you are living with your spouse or partner but your name isn’t on the mortgage, you could have some rights over the property. This means that you could have acquired rights for your time in situ.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok… and how would I find that out ?

Unlike married couples, cohabiting couples do not automatically have financial claims against each other upon separation.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t have any rights then?

If there is no Declaration of Trust or agreement (I assume none exists from your explanation above.), you may still be able to show that you have an interest in the property.
To achieve this, you must demonstrate the following:

1. There was a common intention between you that you would have an interest in the property; and
2. You have acted to your detriment in reliance on this; or
3. You were led to believe that you had a beneficial interest and as a consequence of this you acted to your detriment

If this can be proved you stand a good chance of establishing a right to the property and it's proceeds.

It would be advisable to instruct a local solicitor to establish these points as close to your home address as possible. Would you like me to tell you how to locate one?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
None of that makes any sense to me at all but thank you for trying to help. I think I’ll just leave it as I don’t have the strength to battle with him about it
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No your ok thank you again for your help

No problem, I am here and happy to help if you need it. I am happy to explain the above in more general terms if you like. Also, I can provide a reccomendation for a local charity who deal with scenarios like your every day. Would you like their details?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
please for the charities

You can contact woman's aid in the morning for help and assistance. They will be in a position to give you some help from more than just a legal standpoint. Of course I am available on here after you speak to them if you need anything else explained from a legal perspective.
If you are in need of information and support, you can email them on***@******.***.
Their contact information is listed below:
0808(###) ###-####br/>

Please let me know if I can help any further.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much

No problem at all. I am always happy to help.

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you