How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13537
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My partner was sent to prison then transferred to a mental

This answer was rated:

Hi my partner was sent to prison then transferred to a mental hospital for something he did not do hes been there 24 years
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In wolfson hse
Customer: In wolfson hse
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: Nothing because he didn't know who to do
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He was arrested for rape and the court convicted him even in his girl said to the police it was not him

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

1.  The first thing to do here is to get an independent psychiatric examination of your partner in order to show he is no longer mentally unsound and should be released.  So, you should see a solicitor and get the solicitor to order an independent psychiatric examination of your partner.   If you don't have money for a solicitor, you should seek to arrange this examination yourself.  Essentially, your partner cannot continue to be locked up if he is mentally sound.  So, you should seek to have an independent examination of him and then seek to use that to have him released from the mental hospital.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

2.  The law is that a person can only be placed in a mental hospital if they are a danger to themselves or to others. So you need to show that your partner is no longer a danger to himself or to others.  Once your partner is free, then he can seek to challenge the conviction of him for rape.  However, 24 years is much longer than any rape sentence, so your partner is only being held because the authorties still view him as a danger to others.  So, you need to challenge this assumption by independent psychiatric evidence.

3. If you require clarification or if you wish to share additional information, I will  be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.